- What is blockchain?
Being the technology behind Bitcoin and most cryptocurrencies, blockchain is a kind of Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) for managing data including currency without central control, and is instead secured by mathematics.
Blockchain is technology that allows information and anything of value, to be securely processed and recorded incorruptibly by multiple participants without having to trust one another.
- What are the benefits of blockchain?
- Security – Unlike traditional systems, a blockchain network does not have a central point of failure.
- Immutability – Data that has been input into a blockchain network cannot be revoked, therefore maximising data validity, and preventing fraud.
- Trustless – There is less dependance on third party therefore reducing time and cost.
- Accessibility – A blockchain network can be accessed anywhere throughout the world. There are various permission levels that can be set: public, private, hybrid
- Accountability – Allowing various levels of transparency, multiple parties in a blockchain have accountability to each other
- What are the uses of blockchain?
Blockchain technology can disrupt several different industries. It can be used in many industries from intellectual property in writing and music, IoT transactions, provenance in supply chains, smart contracts both for insurance & lending as well as many other cases.
- What is a Cryptocurrency?
Cryptocurrency is a digital or virtual currency that is secured by cryptography. In other words, cryptocurrency is made possible by blockchain technology. An important part of many cryptocurrencies is that they are for the most part not issued by any central authority making them theoretically immune to government interference or manipulation. It also means that you own your cryptocurrency, rather than third parties such as central banks.
- Who are the Blockchainers CIC?
We are a non-profit organisation in the form of Community Interest Company, to promote blockchain awareness and its real-life implementation. We bring together learners, developers, investors and innovators so that we can all develop our understanding of the blockchain and what it can be used for. Read more about us in our homepage section at visit our BLOCKs.
- What are BLOCKs?
To reach our vision of bringing a wider community together, there are several sub-communities built in the process. These sub-communities are called BLOCKs, or in other words, department. For example, EVENT BLOCK plan and run various blockchain related events and manages a sub-community of blockchain event-goers.
- What activities and programmes do Event Block run?
We used to provide regular sessions to members, dividing it into non-technical and technical group. Through the sessions, we offer members chances to learn and discuss different topics for each session.
We also plan to run regular workshops to help members for their blockchain project, research or business ideas.
(Stay in tune for the above if we are running them again)
Currently, we also regularly run a range of events with blockchain companies, industry leaders and other guest speakers.
Have a look at our Upcoming Events or for past events, check out our Facebook for more details.
- How can I join Blockchainers?
Anyone, including members of the public, can sign up through our website www.blockchainers.uk and follow us on our social media pages to keep up to date.
- Where are the Blockchainers based?
We are currently based in Manchester and that is where most of our sessions and events will be running.
- Is this only available to students of University of Manchester?
Blockchainers CIC is a public organisation so our community is not limited to students, but also includes members of the public.