- What is blockchain?
Being the technology behind Bitcoin and most cryptocurrencies, blockchain is a kind of Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) for managing data including currency without central control, and is instead secured by mathematics.
Blockchain is technology that allows information and anything of value, to be securely processed and recorded incorruptibly by multiple participants without having to trust one another.
- What are the benefits of blockchain?
- Security – Unlike traditional systems, a blockchain network does not have a central point of failure.
- Immutability – Data that has been input into a blockchain network cannot be revoked, therefore maximising data validity, and preventing fraud.
- Trustless – There is less dependance on third party therefore reducing time and cost.
- Accessibility – A blockchain network can be accessed anywhere throughout the world. There are various permission levels that can be set: public, private, hybrid.
- What are the uses of blockchain?
Blockchain technology can disrupt several different industries. It can be used in many industries from intellectual property in writing and music, IoT transactions, provenance in supply chains, smart contracts both for insurance & lending as well as many other cases.
- What is a Cryptocurrency?
Cryptocurrency is a digital or virtual currency that is secured by cryptography. In other words, cryptocurrency is made possible by blockchain technology. An important part of many cryptocurrencies is that they are for the most part not issued by any central authority making them theoretically immune to government interference or manipulation. It also means that you own your cryptocurrency, rather than third parties such as central banks.
- Who are the Blockchainers?
We are a non-profit organisation, led by students, to promote blockchain awareness and its real-life implementation. We bring together developers, investors and innovators so that we can all develop our understanding of the blockchain and what it can be used for.
- What activities and programmes do you run?
We provide regular sessions to members, dividing it into non-technical and technical group. Through the sessions, we offer members chances to learn and discuss different topics for each session.
We also run regular workshops to help members for their blockchain project, research or business ideas.
Sessions and workshops happen every Tuesday evening at 7:00-9:00pm.
We also regularly run a range of events with blockchain companies, industry leaders and other guest speakers.
- How can I join Blockchainers?
Anyone, including members of the public, can sign up through our website www.blockchainers.uk and follow us on our social media pages to keep up to date. After signing up you will receive our newsletters and notifications about our events.
- Where are the Blockchainers based?
We are currently based in Manchester and that is where most of our sessions and events will be running.
- Is this only available to students of University of Manchester?
Blockchainers help run the UoM Blockchain Society, but we are a public organisation so our community is not limited to students, but also includes members of the public.